Reinforcement of research capacity
Development of the research infrastructure of the Centre for biodiversity and ecosystem research in order to approach the standards of leading EU research centres with similar scientific interests through:
- Upgrading and renewal of the relevant S&T equipment
- Transfer and implementation of advanced methodologies and tools
- Improving the information system and supply
- Hiring of new young researchers to reach the critical mass of human resources.
Description of work
Enhancing the current research capacity of the Centre, in terms of equipment, methodologies, information and human potential, will provide possibilities to reach the high level research standard comparable with EU Member States. This will increase the potential of the scientists of the Centre to participate in joint experiments and RTD projects. The following tasks will develop the basis for the successful realisation of the overall activities of BioCORE project:
- Upgrading and renewal of the S&T equipment
Part of the necessary equipment should optimise sampling and field investigations (on site). A good proportion of the supplies will include: analytical equipment, high quality microscopes, specialised experimental and molecular facilities. This will promote further co-operation and joint research experiments with scientists from MS and ACCs research centres within priority area.
- Improvement of the IT capacity
The improvement of IT facilities (incl. software) will assist data analyses and proficiency, and hence will increase the quality of the research.
- Hardware upgrade (GIS-server, mobile GIS accessories);
- Obtaining and deployment of specialised software (GIS-related, database, data analysis).
- Improving the library services (book supply, subscription to journals and global reference and citation services).
- Hiring of young researchers.
Five young researchers (pre- and postdoctoral positions) will be employed in order to reach the critical mass of human resources of the Centre. Their work will be closely connected with the project activities.
- D1. Overview of upgraded and new equipment/supplies (inventory list and copies of invoices) - 12th month;
- D2. Overview of IT upgrades and software supply (inventory list and copies of invoices) - 9th month;
- D3. Virtual library catalog - 6th month;
- D4. Job contracts (5) – 3rd month;
- D5. Set of work programmes for the activities of the employed researchers - 4th month;
- D6. Set of progress reports on the activities of young researchers – 12th and 24th month.
- M1. & M2. Meetings for offers evaluation and resolution on the upgrading of S&T equipment and IT facilities - 3rd and 4th month;
- M3. Evaluation and hiring of young researchers - 3rd month.
Developed research infrastructure of the Centre:
- Methodologically and technically improved facilities;
- Improved IT capacity and abilities for data analyses; Enhanced library services.
- Created job opportunities for young researchers and possibilities for further qualification.
Last modified 2005-10-18 14:15