Home page of Merlijn Jocqué
I graduated as ecologist at the Katholieke Universiteit in Leuven (Belgium), specialized in marine and lacustrine sciences at the Universiteit Gent and then completed a PhD on freshwater ecology again in Leuven at the Laboratory of Aquatic Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. I am also involved seasonally as senior on-site freshwater biologist in the cloud forests of National Park Cusuco (Honduras) with Operation Wallacea coordinating the research on aquatic animal communities in bromeliads and rivers. In a new project we look at the role of endangered tree frogs in a cloud forest ecosystem, and the extinction threat posed by the amphibian chytrid fungus.
- Diversity patterns in time and space with special interest in hierarchical structures.
- Metacommunity dynamics and dispersal; basic characteristics of the process (direction, quantity, timing and distance) as well as its impact on community structure and how dispersal connects spatial and temporal scales.
- Development of small aquatic habitats as natural model systems to study ecological and evolutionary processes.
- Conservation and restoration potential of rivers and wetlands.
- Invertebrate taxonomy (Crustacea).
My position as wetland biologist at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences is framed in the WETLANET project and mainly encompasses the analysis of long term data collected on the internationally renowned Srebarna wetland in the north east of Bulgaria. Research attention points are ecosystem stability and the effect of management changes.
- Vanschoenwinkel, B., Waterkeyn, A., Jocqué, M, Boven, L., Seaman, M.T. & Brendonck, L. 2010. Species sorting in space and time: the impact of disturbance regime on community assembly in a temporary pool metacommunity. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 29:1-12.
- Jocqué M., Vanschoenwinkel B. & Brendonck L. 2010. A worldwide review on freshwater rock pools: habitat characterization, faunal diversity and conservation value. Freshwater Biology, 55: 1587-1602.
- Jocqué M., Kernahan A., Nobes A., Willians C. & Field R. 2010. How effective are non-destructive sampling methods to assess aquatic invertebrate richness in bromeliads? Hydrobiologia, 649: 293-300.
- Brendonck L., Jocqué M., Hulsmans A. & Vanschoenwinkel B. 2010. Pools 'on the rocks': freshwater rock pools as model system in ecological and evolutionary research. Limnetica, 29: 1-16.
- Jocqué M., Vanschoenwinkel B. & Brendonck L. 2010. Anostracan monopolization of early successional phases in temporary waters? Fundamental and Applied Limnology, 176: 127-132.
- Jocqué M., Brendonck L., Riddoch B. and Martens K. 2010. On Amphibolocypris arida n.sp. (Crustacea, Ostracoda), from rock pools in Botswana (southern Africa). Zootaxa, 2408: 47-58.
- Jocqué M., Field R., Brendonck L. & De Meester L. 2010. Climatic control of dispersal–ecological specialization trade-offs: a metacommunity process at the heart of the latitudinal diversity gradient? Global Ecology and Biogeography,19: 244-252.
- Jocqué M. & Blom W. 2009. Mysidae (Mysida) of New Zealand; a checklist, identification key to species and an overview of material in New Zealand collections. Zootaxa, 2304: 1-20.
- Jocqué M., Timms B. & Brendonck L. 2007. A contribution on the biodiversity and conservation of the freshwater fauna of rocky outcrops in the central Wheatbelt of Western Australia. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 90: 137-142.
- Willems W., Artois, T., Jocqué M. & Brendonck L. 2007. A new species of Microdalyellia (Rhabditophora: Rhabdocoela: Dalyellidae) from temporal freshwater rock pools in Utah, USA. Annales Zoologici, 57: 371-376.
- Jocqué M., Graham T. & Brendonck L. 2007. Local structuring factors of invertebrate communities in ephemeral freshwater rock pools and the influence of more permanent water bodies in the region. Hydrobiologia, 592: 271-280.
- Jocqué M., Riddoch B. & Brendonck L. 2007. Successional phases and species replacements in freshwater rock pools: towards a biological definition of ephemeral systems. Freshwater Biology, 52: 1734-1744.
- Rogers D.C., Timms B., Jocqué M. & Brendonck L. 2007. A new genus and species of branchipodid fairy shrimp (Crustacea: Branchiopoda: Anostraca) from Australia. Zootaxa, 1551: 49–59.
- Jocqué M., Martens K., Riddoch B. & Brendonck L. 2006. Faunistics of ephemeral rock pools in southeastern Botswana. Archiv für Hydrobiologie, 165: 415-431.
- Artois, T., Willems W., De Roeck E., Jocqué M. & Brendonck L. 2004. Freshwater Rhabdocoela (Platyhelminthes) from ephemeral rock pools from Botswana, with the description of four new species and one new genus. Zoological Science, 21: 1063-1072.
Last modified 19.08.2010 16:09